Sunday, September 11, 2011

What's your fave machine quilting thread?



I did not manage to finish the baby quilt before my friend's shower last weekend. Being pregnant myself, the effects of work, home, husband and toddler meant that I tend to be fairly wiped out by 9:00 pm, pretty much the only time during the week I can sew. Instead I tried to focus on preparing my minimal contributions to the shower itself, including a bunting banner I wanted to make. Make it I did with hours to spare, and it turned out pretty nicely I think.

But back to the quilt. I pieced the backing from my stash yesterday, and fused/topstitched the label just a little bit ago during the toddler's* nap. Forgetting that basting a quilt takes a certain amount of time and effort, I was getting ready to run to my local quilt shop for machine quilting thread and possibly some material for the binding. As I was brushing my hair, I thought, What's the rush? You're not going to start quilting it today, you might as well put some research into this. I have some experienced machine quilters I can consult, and I have this blog floating around on the interwebs.

So if there's anyone out there reading this who cares to chime in, I'd love to hear what your favorite machine quilting thread is. This is just a utilitarian baby quilt that I'll probably quilt with straight lines. I've done some machine quilting in the past with little attention paid to the type of thread I used. In fact, I'm embarrassed to admit how much thread has made its way into my collection because I wasn't paying attention. Seriously, how did I end up with so much cotton/poly Coats & Clark? Actually, I know why -- it's cause I was shopping the sales at the big box stores. To be fair, I do have a good amount of Mettler in my collection, too. I'll tell you what though, once you go Presencia you'll never go back. That stuff just glides through my old machine like buttah.

So even though this isn't an heirloom quality quilt, I do want the materials to be of quality. The fabric I'm using is all good quality, I got 100% cotton batting, I've used good thread for piecing. I'd hate to undermine it all with crap quilting thread. I mean, the quilting might be crap, but at least the thread will be good.



And speaking of the fabric, a few weeks ago I found just the right stuff for the sashes/borders and cornerstones. When I got a look at the selvages, I was not surprised -- Moda and more Moda. I picked a sunny yellow gingham printed on the bias from Sweetwater's Sunkissed collection for the sashes/borders, and may just have to grab another yard or two for my stash. I love that it's on the bias.

For the cornerstones, I bought a fat quarter of what turned out to be from Fig Tree & Co., which I didn't know till I got it home. Absolutely no surprise there -- I love her palette. I just can't figure out exactly which collection it's from, Fig & Plum or Strawberry Fields, because the selvage isn't long enough. I'm thinking of using it for the binding, so I really need it to match what I've already got. Again, if anyone out there knows based on the photo...



*I really need to come up with a cute pseudonym for her. One more thing for the To Do List.

No comments:

Post a Comment